Business Support

Business Big and Small – Rangitikei has it all

The Rangitikei is home to many successful businesses, both small and large and in wide and varied sectors.

With strong community support to shop local and Highway 1 and 3 running through, retail shopping is a robust and growing industry with new developments taking shape constantly. 

Tourism is a high growth sector with many fantastic businesses already in operation. Farm-stays and Bed 'n Breakfast's continue to grow in popularity.  Large business thrives in the district due our advantageous logistical location.

Rangitikei is home to traditional and niche market farming.  Touring the countryside, you are likely to find the usual sheep and cattle along with alpaca, deer and a growing number of farmers working hard on sustainability, environmental care and animal welfare.

Marton has been home to New Zealand's malt production since beer brewing began.  The success of this now extends to an export trade and continues to be the source of the country’s main supply of malt.  The district’s rich soil sees a wide range of horticultural businesses including vineyards, organic produce and award winning olive oil.

Through the success of all the sectors we show strength and prosper together as the Rangitikei.

Future Industries

It is without a doubt that we live in a changing world, from export opportunities to produce production and advances in technology.  Environmental changes also open up new horticultural opportunities.  The Rangitikei offers an advantage of being able to draw on research and expertise from Massey University who are leading the way with developments in future industry. Massey promotes collaborative arrangements, innovative research encouraging linking with commercial organisations.  A number of local businesses have drawn on this and improved their business.   Find out more at www.massey.ac.nz/industry 

The Ministry of Business and Innovation and Employment identifies a number of sectors and commercial opportunities that have the potential in the Manawatu – Whanganui region through the Regional Growth Study.

Rangitikei is a fantastic district, where business possibilities are wide and varied.  We want to make it as easy as possible for you to set up your new business and enjoy all that the Rangitikei offers.

 Let’s Get Started

With different rules and regulations to comply with before you open your doors or gates, it is important to understand what approvals you may need prior to starting.  Talk to us first to make sure you are making the very best business decisions right from the get go.  We have dedicated case managers that are here to help guide you through every step of the Council’s processes, making sure you get everything ticked off that you need to.

This guide will give you an overview of what you should be considering when setting up a new business or extending a current operation.  You will also find useful links to business support groups in our district.  Save yourself time, money and stress by planning well first.

You want to set up a Business!

Congratulations, there are many rewards that come from working for yourself.  It can be daunting with the various rules and regulations that you have to navigate your way through.  Depending on the type of business you want to open and where it will be located, different approvals will need to be sought.  On top of that once your business is up and running there are rules you need to be aware of.  By planning well and getting informed you will be able to keep the stress levels low and the customers happy.

Before you start your project contact Council and prevent delays and frustrations later on.  Help us help you by coming and talking to us first! 

Your Case Manager

We want you to be successful, and to help you achieve success we provide a free case management service for those setting up a new business.  This means you have a single contact point for all your dealings with Council, making efficient use of your precious time.

 What will they do for you?

To take advantage of this service complete the online application form, or alternatively pop into council and talk to us or give us a call.

Phone: 0800 422 522

Visit: 46 High Street, Marton

Email: sam.whitcombe@rangitkei.govt.nz or janette.oleary@rangitikei.govt.nz

Application for Case Manager

Choosing the right site

There is a lot to consider when choosing the right site for your venture. For example what access and services availability the site has and does the Certificate of Title highlight any restrictions? The Rangitikei District Plan will identify the zone that properties falls into.  It will be easier to establish a commercial business in the commercial zone than in the residential zone.

Each zone also has their own specific rules, further information relating to each zone can be found in the District Plan or discussed with your Case Manager

Change of Use

Something else you may need to consider might include various consents, licenses and permissions needed to get your building or property up to current standards suitable for your type of business.  Building and/or resource consents may need to be obtained or possibly a Change of Use or upgrades to meet the new health and safety standards.

Servicing the Sight

Approved water supply, storm water disposal and sewage systems are generally needed for all business activities.  For a food premise a grease-trap will be required.  Before you begin construction you should check with Council if there are existing connections and how you can go about connecting to them.  Bear in mind that some existing infrastructure may not be adequate for the job you want it to perform, for example the pressure and flow of the water supply.  Connection costs are another factor to consider before you start.  If you require a new connection to the networks or a disconnect of existing connections, an application to Council needs to be made.  Services that Council do not control include electricity, power, phone and data.  All of these are available through independent providers.

Water Supply

Not all properties in the district have access to the water reticulation network.  If this is the case an alternative water supply, such as a water tank, is needed.  This supply will need to meet the requirements of the Building Act and will be specified in your building consent.  During the construction phase a supply of drinkable water and on-site waste disposal must be provided.  You will find comprehensive information regarding Water supply in the Rangitikei District Council Water Related Services bylaw

Sewage Disposal

Hygienic waste disposal must be provided for buildings fitted with toilets and other plumbing.  If wastewater services are not available at the property alternative on-site wastewater systems, such as a septic tank, will be needed.  This will need to meet the requirements of the Building Act in conjunction with Regional Council and will be specified in your building consent.

Storm water Management

To avoid problems with flooding, storm water from your building and property must be managed.  Within an urban area you will have to apply for a storm water connection from the council.  Soak holes are the usual method for on-site management. This will need to meet the requirements of the Building Act and will be specified in your building consent.

Project Information Package

Once you have a good idea about your proposed business, Council can provide all of the relevant regulatory information in a Project Information Package. The sort of information it includes is: 

The Planning Phase

Once you have decided what you want to do and where you want to do it you may want to consider employing a Project Manager to ensure smooth running of your project.  Their knowledge and skills can help you liaise with contractors, Council and other agencies saving you precious time and potential problems.

Being your own Project Manager

If you have decided that you want to manage the project yourself you will still need help from professionals to meet Council requirements.  These often include:

 Architect/Designer: They will prepare and develop options for your business that meet council planning, building and infrastructure requirements that are involved with the building consent process

Engineer: Will check your building/s is structurally sound and able to accommodate any planned alterations or intended uses.  This can be vital for older brick and masonry buildings.  Engineers can also deal with potential water supply, wastewater, storm water and roading issues.

Planner: If you need a resource consent, a planner has the knowledge to provide advice, prepare the application and undertake consultation.

Building, Renovating or Change of Use

Your building may just need upgrades to plumbing or drainage or you may decide it requires renovating to completely suit your needs or meet standards.  Before you start knocking down walls make sure you check with Council that you have all necessary permissions and you may want to seek advice from design and building professionals to ensure a smooth process.  If you altering a heritage building, under the District Plan you must consult

Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Toanga  www.heritage.org.nz

Planning requirements

You may find many activities can be done without a resource consent.  A resource consent is a legal document that gives you permission to undertake activities or building work that is not permitted under the rules of the Rangitikei District Plan.  Your case manager will be able to help advice you.

All activities must comply with the rules of each zone (residential, commercial, industrial, rural), as well as, the general rules and standards, transportation rules, heritage rules and natural hazards. You will receive the relevant information in your Project Information Package.

 There are two categories of resource consents

A subdivision consent which is required to legally divide land or buildings for separate ownership, such as new lots or sections (fee simple or boundary adjustment), unit title, cross lease, or company lease.  Refer to our subdivision guidelinefor more information relating to subdivision consents.

A land use consent, which may be required for particular activities, or if the activity cannot meet the standards set out in the Plan.

 Issues that may need resource consent include:


Resource Consent Information

Resource Consent Application Guide

Resource Consent (Land Use) Application – Form 9a

Resource Consent (Subdivision) Application – Form 9

We highly recommend that you talk through your proposal with your case manager before you fill in an application form.

Environmental Effects and Affected Parties

If you need a resource consent you will need to consider what effects your proposal may have and whether there might be any neighbours who could potentially be affected. 

Effects could include, but are not limited to; loud noises created, buildings which neighbours may be able to see from their property, increased numbers of vehicles, any odour created, potential dust which could be created, if lighting may spill over to other properties and any positive effects the activity may create.

 If your neighbours are likely to be affected by your proposal it is best to gain their approval otherwise they could object, which is likely make the process longer and more expensive. The approval must be lodged on the appropriate form, with the affected party signing the form, the site plan and your application.

Affected Party Approval

 The Ministry of the Environment has published a guide to help with the Assessment of Environment Effects

A guide to preparing a basic assessment of environment effects

An example of basic assessment of environmental effects

Your case manager will be able to help you through this process.  

National Environmental Standards

Developments are also required to comply with the National Environmental Standards. The standard that is the most relevant is the National Environmental Standard for Assessing and Managing Contaminants in Soil to Protect Human Health (NES Human Health). This standard is applicable if the piece of land has had or is likely to have had a HAIL (Hazardous Activities and Industries List) activity occurring on it.

Further information can be found



Your case manager will be able to help you understand these requirements.

Building Consent Application

A building consent is a Council’s formal approval that confirms the proposed building work, based on your plans and shown in the documentation you provide, complies with the New Zealand Building Code, the Building Act 2004 and Building Regulations.  The consent helps make sure that buildings are safe, hygienic and fit for use.  They cannot be issued for unauthorized work that has already been completed.  You should not start any building work or renovations until a building consent and any other relevant permissions have been granted.  Your Case Manager will be able to guide you in completing this application, however for comprehensive assistance we suggest the employment of a Project Manager or Planner.

There is a lot of information pertaining to Building Consents, further details can be found on Building Consents and Information

A useful website for Building Consents is www.building.govt.nz

Building Warrant of Fitness (BWoF)

Owners of buildings with specified systems need to supply council with an annual BWoF.  It is an owner’s responsibility to make sure their building is safe to use.  Every year a BWoF needs to be completed with supporting Certificates of Compliance for each system on the compliance schedule.  A compliance schedule is a Council document that lists the buildings safety features and essential services such as fire safety systems and lifts.  There are numerous systems that need a compliance schedule.  For a comprehensive list go to www.building.govt.nz/managing buildings.managing-your-bwof/

Earthquake Strengthening

Since the devastating Christchurch earthquakes the government has set in place legislation that requires buildings over a certain age be inspected by a qualified structural engineer to assess their potential performance in an earthquake.  Building owners undertaking a ‘change of use’ from commercial to residential use, will require a 100% earthquake strengthening under the building code. Renovations, may require earthquake strengthening as a part of that work.  For further reading on Rangitikei’s Earthquake-Prone Building Policy click here.  The governments Earthquake-prone building Act will also help identify what your responsibilities may be.

Health Act, Food Act and Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act related requirements

Make sure you talk to our Environmental Health Officer before you finalise plans for building consent applications in particular if your business needs to comply with the health, food and sale and supply of alcohol acts.  Legislation often requires premises of this type to have specific building layout requirements.  An alcohol license cannot be granted until all building work is complete and a code of compliance certificate issued. An alcohol license application must be accompanied by a certificate from the Council confirming that the proposed use of the premises meets the requirements of the Resource Management Act and the Building Code.

Construction Phase

It would be advantageous for your new business to keep good relations with your neighbors during your construction phase.

Things to be aware of may include: 

 Your case manager can discuss with you what you may need to consider during your construction:

A vehicle crossing application: 

 It is Councils responsibility to decide what type of crossing is suitable and where it will be located.  It must also be built to Council standards and by Council approved contractors.

Traffic Management Plan:  A traffic management plan is required if any road or foot path is obstructed or a ladder, scaffolding, crane, cherry picker or the like is used.  This ensures site safety and minimizes disruption. If you are building within the central business district you may be able to reserve parking for construction vehicles.  Parking reservations can be made with our Roading Operations Manager.

 Hoardings and Storage:  Appropriate plans for hoardings and storage will be needed to ensure footpaths near the construction site are tidy and safe.

Noise Control

Your business or the construction phase of your business may exceed what is considered reasonable noise.  If you think that any time noise generated by your activities will possibly affect others, come and talk to council before you get underway.  For technical assistance you may need to contact an acoustics specialist.  Detailed information pertaining to acceptable noise can be found in the Rangitikei District Rules B1.7 Noise on the Council website.

Dust and Odour

Depending on the zone your construction and business is in, you may have regulations on the creation and management of air quality and pollution.  A resource consent may need to be obtained if your site creates odours, dust, mist or smoke.  Talk to your case manager before getting underway.

Health and Safety

The Health and Safety at Work Act 2016 has meant that as an employer of a contractor or sub-contractor you are responsible for their Health and Safety.  Although the individuals or businesses that you contract will/should have their own health and safety plans it is up to you to ensure they abide by them and stay safe while under your care. For further information refer to the Introduction to the Health and Safety at Work Act, section 3

The Work Safe NZ website should hold all the information and contact details you may need to get a clear understanding of your responsibilities.

Council Sign-Off - Getting Approved

You’re done! The building work is completed, utilities are connected, storm water systems are in place, now it’s time to arrange for Council sign-off and begin arranging permits and approvals to get your business trading.

Your case manager will be able to help you identify the necessary permits and approvals you will need.

There are several licenses that Council administer that you may need before you can begin to operate. These include:

Trade Waste Consents

Council controls what is discharged into the sewers.  This is to protect the public, environment and the sewerage system.

Types of businesses that usually require a trade waste consent are: 

 This list is not all inclusive.  For a help in assessing if you need a trade waste consent please talk to our case manager. You will find comprehensive information regarding Trade Waste in the Rangitikei District Council Water Related Services Bylaw Part 4 Trade Waste

Alcohol Licenses

Under the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act, any premise used for any of the following activities needs to first obtain the appropriate alcohol license: 

The different types of alcohol license allow you to sell for different purposes.

Where alcohol is consumed on site, food must always be available.  Therefore, those serving food will also need a food premises registration.  An alcohol license cannot be granted until all building work is complete and a code of compliance certificate issued. An alcohol license application must be accompanied by a certificate from the Council confirming that the proposed use of the premises meets the requirements of the Resource Management Act and the Building Code.

Food Premise Registration

An annual registration needs to be made by any premise used to manufacture, prepare, package or store food for sale.  Exemptions from registration may be awarded on presentation of an approved Food Safety Programme.  Examples of types of businesses that should register include cafes, takeaway shops, licensed restaurants, bakeries, butcheries, dairies, grocers, supermarkets and service stations.

The Rangitikei District Council Food Business Grading Bylaw 2014 ensures that all food businesses comply with minimum standards under legislation regulation of the sale of food to the public.  It involves a grading system that allows the community to make informed decisions in relation to food businesses.  A grade is awarded following an inspection by an Authorised Officer, at least once annually.  The current grade must then be displayed at the public entrance of the establishment.

The Food Act 2014 takes a new approach to managing food safety.   Everyone working in the food industry has a responsibility to make sure that the food that is sold is safe and suitable to eat. There are two possibilities in relation to the Food Act’s food safety measures.

Find out more about the Act and what it means for you here.

Health Act Registration

In accordance with the Health Act, occupiers of premises used for hairdressing, camping grounds, funeral parlour’s and offensive trades must get a certificate of registration from the Council before they start trading.


All premises used for hairdressing both commercial business and from their own home, must first be inspected and issued with a certificate of registration under the Health (Hairdressers) Regulation 1980.

Amusements Devices

A certificate of registration or permit may be needed for a business or hobby group that build and/or operate, for riding on, a scale model locomotive or scale model traction engine.

Funeral Palour

Funeral Parlours’ require a Health License and registration prior to starting business.

Offensive Trades

Offensive trades need to register with council under the Health Act.  Offensive trades include but are not limited to blood or offal treating, bone boiling or crushing, dag crushing, fish cleaning and curing, flax pulping, flock manufacturing or teasing of textile materials for any purpose, refuse collection and disposal, tanning, wood pulping and wool scouring.  For a comprehensive list read the Health Act 1956, Section 3.

Mobile Shops and Stalls

Mobile shops and stalls must be registered with the Council and those selling food must comply with the requirements set out in the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974, and obtain a Mobile Shop License.  An agreement has been reached between Horowhenua District Council, Palmerston North City Council, Manawatu District Council, Rangitikei District Council, Ruapehu District Council, Tararua District Council and Wanganui District Council that will allow mobile food premises to trade across Council boundaries in the Manawatu-Wanganui Region with just one food registration.  The agreement allows mobile food businesses to obtain a Certificate of Registration under the Food Hygiene Regulations 1974 or an exemption under the Food Act 1981 from their home base Council only, even if they trade in other Council areas within the region.  All mobile food shops must meet a set of minimum standards in order to be registered.  Each district or city within the region has different bylaws and policies about where mobile shops can trade, so you must talk to an Environmental Health Officer (EHO) from each Council in whose area that you wish to trade in to obtain a permit or consent to operate.

Controls on Signage

There are rules in place regarding signage to avoid problems with neighbors, prevent obstruction and traffic distraction.   The Rangitikei District Council administers the District Plan and the Council bylaws that govern the display of advertising signs.  Before you put your sign up or even get it made, come and talk to us to avoid any issues and save yourself time and money.

Stick to the Rules

You’ve done the first step by getting all your final approvals before you open your doors.  But depending on your business or the conditions of you resource consents some of those approvals need periodic renewal. 

Your case manager will be able to help you identify the necessary approvals you need or specific conditions that will require monitoring.

Some of those approvals that need renewing are:

Resource consent monitoring

Council may grant resource consent with specific conditions that require monitoring.  The monitoring incurs a cost to the applicant.  Some of these conditions include:

Rubbish Collection and Recycling

Once you’ve moved into your property, make sure you have a plan for your rubbish and recycling.   Council does not provide kerb side rubbish collection, however there are two businesses that offer the service.  Red and yellow bags can be purchased from all supermarkets and a number of participating dairy’s in the district.  Rubbish will be collected when in an official red or yellow bag, put on the kerb on the correct day for your area.  Further information on the companies and the collection days can be found here.  For information on Transfer stations and recycling clickhere.

Business Support

The Rangitikei District Council recognises the varying ways in which different businesses add value to the region, and aims to help new and existing business in tangible ways. Under the Rangitikei District Council ‘Rates Remission Policy’, incentives can be awarded to new and expanding businesses.  There are ten specific objectives and criteria under this policy. 

Rates Remission Policy

Furthermore, the Rangitikei District Council has the ability to waiver or reduce the consent costs if a new or existing business meets the criteria. 

Policy on Reducing or Waiving fees for Internal Consent Costs 

The Rangitikei District is spoilt for high quality support agencies and networks to help you, no matter what stage of business you are at.  Due to our geographical position we are fortunate to benefit from involvement with both the Manawatu and Whanganui agencies and networks.

Helpful Agenciesceda-branding-grey


Central Economic Development Agency (CEDA) and the Chamber of Commerce Manawatu and Chamber of Commerce Whanganui service our district.  These are two great business support groups that offer invaluable advice and assistance to new businesses.  They could be worth talking to during your planning stage.  More information about each can be found further down under Business Support

The Central Economic Development Agency, or CEDA

Contact Us:

T (+64) 6 350 1830

Level 1, The Square Centre Building, 478 Main Street East, Palmerston Nort


Committed to growing and developing the Manawatu region, including Rangitikei.  Vision Manawatu are passionate about business – a key to the development of our region and helping to develop our communities, to help build a better future.  Vision Manawatu offers advice to those starting up business and help to those growing their business.  They have many networking opportunities and offer business mentoring through Business Mentors NZ.  Vision Manawatu is part of The Regional Business Partner network that helps New Zealand businesses innovate and grow by making it easier to access early stage business support.  Through The Regional Business Partner Network you can apply for NZTE Capability Development Vouchers to use as partial payment towards the cost of capability development and training in the following areas: Business Planning, Business Systems, Business Sustainability, Capital Raising, Export, Finance, Governance, Lean Manufacturing/Business Operations, Managing Resources and Marketing.  Vision Manawatu have also partnered with Callaghan Innovation, a government agency created to help improve your chances of turning research and development into market success, with a focus on technology.  They have a range of services to make your road to success easier, faster and less risky.

Manawatu Chamber of Commerce and Whanganui Chamber of Commerce

Manawatu      Phone: 06 213 9877

Email: info@manawatuchamber.co.nz

Web: www.manawatuchamber.co.nz

Whanganui    Phone: 06 345 0080

Email: info@whanganuichamber.net.nz

Web: www.whanganuichamber.net.nz

 Whether you’re just getting started in business, taking your enterprise to the next level or going global with your product or service, the right connection, support and advice will fast-track your success.  By joining the Chamber of Commerce you’ll have access to network events, business savings and business support and advice that will give you a solid platform from which to grow your business.

Community Groups that Support Business

Below are links to Rangitikei groups that support community and businesses, and organize Business After 5 (BA5) networking meetings

Helpful Websites for Businesses

Below are links general websites that may have useful information for you





Horizons Regional Council

manages the use and development of the use of water, and discharges of wastes into air, land, fresh and coastal waters. You also need to comply with the Horizons Regional Council One Plan.  Horizons Regional Council staff will be able to help you identify what activities you will need a resource consent for and which activities are permitted under the One Plan.   

Your case manager will be able to help you identify what consents you may need to obtain from Horizons Regional Council.

You may require a resource consent if you plan to: 

  • Take, use dam or divert water
  • Discharge contaminants onto or into the land, air or water
  • Erect, use or disturb structures in the coastal marine area
  • Erect, use or disturb structures in, on, under or over the river or lake beds.
  • Install ground bores or wells

Phone: 06 9522 800

Phone: 0508 800 800

Email: help@horizons.govt.nz

Web: www.horizons.govt.nz

Building Clever Companies

Phone: 06 353 3100

Email:  info@thebcc.co.nz

Web: www.thebcc.co.nz/

BCC are New Zealand’s specialist business development organization for startups in agriculture, agritech and agrifood.  They also use their expertise in tech transfer, startups and investment to help entrepreneurs and innovators take products to market.  They offer a wide range of services – Accelerator Programmes, Annual Competitions (worth cash and services), Business Model Tools, Market Validation and Start Up Weekends. 



Infometrics is a company that helps its clients make sense of economic problems and provides industry, regional and general economic analysis and forecasts that can assist business in making their planning, policy and strategic decisions.  They assist their clients in understanding the economic forces which affect their businesses or organisations.

New Zealand Fire Service


The New Zealand Fire Service offers a great resource to business by assisting with evacuation schemes, fire alarm connection, fire safety advise for the work place and building owners with fire safety requirements.  The Building Act 2004 requires Building Consent Authorities to send certain building consent applications to the NZ Fire Service for comment.  The engineering department unit of the Fire Service will review the consent and provide a memorandum back to the Building Consent Authority.

Digital Connections

Fibre connection is an important factor for business.  We are working with providers to ensure the Rangitikei is connected to the fastest internet available.  To learn more read our Digital Enablement Plan.

This website is not all inclusive, for further information and help make an appointment to meet our friendly Case Manager to talk about your exciting future.

We look forward to working with you to bring your future aspirations to fruition in the Rangitikei!










RANGITIKEI.COM © 2016 Site design BMR CREATIVE Site built by NYX | Login